Monthly Archives: October 2010
The class of 2010 had a wonderful night at their debs ball in the Rochestown Park Hotel on Thursday 16th September last. View photos below.
Carrigaline Community School is currently running a Green Schools Programme in Transition Year with the assistance of Coordinator Ms O’ Doherty.
We hope that it will have a whole-school and community benefit.
Recycling Initiative – Tips for Staff, Students and Parents:
Waste material that can be recycled
- Plastic bottles
- Glass bottles
- Aluminium cans
- Food tins(washed)
- Electrical items
- Gas bottles
- Used clothes
- Flourescent tubes and light bulbs
Some of the tasks which we have carried out in September are:
- Surveys of businesses in Carrigaline and around the school environs to highlight the problem of litter.
- Visting speakers – Green Schools representative Rachel Boyle and the County litter Manager have visited the school committee and will return to class groups in the coming weeks.
- Tidy Town’s Maura Allen, Chairperson with Carrigaline Tidy Towns, has also visited the Committee on a number of occasions and we have scheduled other visits and meetings with the Tidy Towns as part of our report.
Projects in coming weeks:
- Litter Awareness week – November
- Can bin for recycling cans – Mr. Nyhan
- Bird feeders through Woodwork to attract wildlife – Mr. Nyhan
Chewing gum problem in school:
- We hope to work with Chewitbinit.com and the junior classes in the school to highlight the problem of chewing gum in the school. This will be achieved during CSPE classes as part of Concept 3.
- Junior school visits of Chewitbinit Education Company, an actor/theatre based activity group, to combat chewing gum use in the school.
Bird houses were created in Woodwork classes and there have been regular clean-ups of the school grounds.
Carrigaline’s 1st years took part in a 10-a-side Camogie Blitz in Glanmire on Oct 6th.
Our new players performed very well and were tied on top of their Pool after 3 matches but narrowly lost out on a semi final spot to a last minute goal v Youghal.
Well done to all players who took part
C.C.S played teams from Colaiste an Phiarsaigh, Youghal and Mount Mercy.
The New Log On, Learn class will commence on Monday, 11th of October at 11:30
Transition Year students are ready to help you with all your computer needs.
The picture of TY students shown below is of them preparing for class next week.
More details on the Log On, Learn Initiative here http://www.logonlearn.ie/