Category Archives: Uncategorized
Glohealth South Munster Schools Athletics Track and Field Championships in C.I.T. on Thursday 5th May 2016.
Carrigaline Community School defeated Midleton College 5 nil in the Cork Junior Girls’ Final today (April 2016) in Midleton. Goals from Rachel O Regan(2), Shannon Wynne,Nicole Moriarty and Amy O Regan. In the campaign, the girls were undefeated, scoring 23 goals, conceding just once.
CCS recently held its inaugural Numeracy week; aptly named ‘Lets make it count’
A variety of events organised by the Numeracy Committee ensured that the whole student body was involved in a range of suitable activities. Fantastic Art displays were to be seen throughout the building, which were kindly done by Ms. A. Stackpoole’s Art classes.
Here’s a sample of the Activities which took place during Numeracy week:
- A treasure hunt for First years and the visiting French exchange students.
it covered many of the key aspects of Numeracy such as
spatial awareness, patterns and sequences, making sense of data and
thinking and communicating quantitatively.
- A competition based on shapes was organized for the junior school. It
involved students finding 13 different shapes hidden around the school.
- All year groups were involved in the Daily puzzle quiz.
- Some 3rd Year Maths students were involved in a Maths magic event, which they kindly
performed for their 2nd year fellow students.
- Fourth Year students were involved in Boolean Logic. A game of logic led by Ms. S. O’Malley, Ms. F. McMenamin and Ms. E.Buckley who made it very enjoyable for all involved.
- For 5th Year students, ‘Who wants to be a millionaire’ and a variety of numeracy games were organized in specific class groups.
- 6th year students got the chance to test their arithmetic ability through Countdown. It really showed the competitive streak in students and teachers alike!
- To complete the week the 5th year students we lucky enough to have a
guest speaker, Siobhán O’ Connor, a lecturer in the BSc (Hons) Athletic and Rehabilitation Therapy in Athlone IT which is accredited by Athletic Rehabilitation Therapy Ireland (ARTI). Basically this profession prevents, assesses, treats and rehabilitates sporting injuries. She spoke to them about Statistics and Performance analysis on sports and the importance of maths in biomechanics which is a really prominent part of improving performance in athletes at the moment. It was a very insightful and fascinating talk and really gave students an idea of the importance of Numeracy in the real life of an Athlete or Sports Person.
CCS had a great turnout at recent Munster and All-Ireland Athletics competitions.
Below are pictures from the 2016 Glohealth Munster Schools Athletics Cross Country Championships from the Tramore Valley Park Cork.
Below are pictures from the 2016 Glohealth Munster Schools Athletics Indoor Championships from the Nenagh Sports Complex, Co. Tipperary.
Below are pictures from the 2016 Glohealth South Munster Schools Athletics Cross Country Championships from the Munster Agricultural Grounds in Curraheen, Cork.
Below are pictures from the 2016 GloHealth All Ireland Schools’ and Universities’ Athletics Cross Country Championships from the Sligo Racecourse, Co. Sligo.
Chuir daltaí na scoile taispeántas iontach rince ar siúl ar an 27 Eanáir
do daltaí ón bhFrainc. Bhain gach éinne taitneamh as an seó. Comhghairdeas a chailíní!
Rinceoirí: Aoife Kirwan, Emily Gannon, Anna Loughran, Amy Barry, Clíona Gallagher, Emma O’ Sullivan agus Marguerite Mee